miércoles, 26 de octubre de 2016

#15 I Build Walls: poem.

I build walls
I build walls:
walls that protect,
walls that shield,
walls that say I shall not yield
or reveal
who I am or how I fell.

I build walls:
walls that hide,
walls that cover what's inside,
walls that stare or smile or look away,
silent lies,
 walls that even block my eyes
from the tears I might have cried.

I build walls:
walls that never let me
truly touch
those I love so very much.
Walls that need to fall!
Walls meant to be fortresses
are prisoners after all.


Analysis:
The writer uses "walls" as a metaphor implying that a person is hiding his/her feelings and thoughts from others and even from him/herself.  Physical walls may be made of stone, brick, or many other material, however, there are other kind of walls called “psychological walls” which are made of thoughts, believes and attitudes. This imaginary barriers that function as a shield for our emotions and thoughts not only prevent us from further suffering situations, but also it places us in a comfort zone where we feel secure and protected.
                In my own experience, I used to be a person who constructed walls to present myself from suffering and I used to believe that showing my emotions would reveal my weaknesses. Even though I felt safe in that position for a long time, lately I realized that I was isolated from the world around me and as time goes by, I decided to change it.
                As long we are part of a society where people behave and think different from us, sometimes we need to build walls because some actions, words, attitudes or emotions that can disturb our lives will not affect us at all. These walls should act as temporary and protective shields, not as prisons from where we can't escape.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario